Day 1 – DONE!

Today was a long day. We arrived at 745am after dropping little man off with Grandma, who was bringing him to daycare for us. After checking in and filling out a little paperwork, we were showed to our section. Since we were the first to arrive for that particular nursing station, we were able to sit in the corner chair that had a little more room than some of the other chairs. It also had moveable doors that closed almost completely so that we didn’t feel like everyone was staring at us (and us at them!).

The nurse provided a pillow and blanket and my chair reclined nicely. It even had a massaging and warming feature. There was a moveable HD tv as well. My husband had a regular chair to sit in as well. We brought a few things to keep us busy and some snacks and water. It may have looked like we were moving in permanently with all our stuff!

My nurse was super sweet and went over the expectations with us again and did my blood work to check my platelets, white blood cells, etc. The lab was onsite so the results came through within a few minutes. The hardest part of the day was having the needle inserted into the port, since the area is still so swollen and tender. Thankfully it was quick and they gave me a prescription to numb the area before arriving tomorrow.

Before starting the treatments, I was given a steroid, anti-nausea medicine and Benadryl. This took a bit of time so we didn’t begin the actual chemotherapy drugs until around 11am. Each drug took at least an hour and one of them required a 30 minute break in-between. The Benadryl and anti-nausea medicine made me super drowsy so I took a nice long nap for the first two chemotherapy treatments.

The medicine didn’t hurt going in and it was relatively easy to move around when I needed to potty, despite being hooked up. I was able to do a little shopping for cool hats and scope out new book potentials while my husband kept me company. All in all, I’d say today went well.

I am still quite tired and there is a lengthy list of medicines over the next few days that will help keep me comfortable but for now I feel ok, pretty good, considering. I’m sure that will change over the next few days but I’m relieved day 1 is DONE! And for that, I am grateful.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s